The Palos Verdes Peninsula Village
The Palos Verdes Peninsula Village is part of a national conversation about successful aging in America today. It is not enough “to just add years to our lives but more importantly to add life to our years.”
The vision of the Peninsula Village is a community where members continue to grow, engage with one another, and age with independence, dignity and purpose. Through its volunteers and referrals, it provides support and services for its members who have chosen to live in the communities and homes they love as they get older.
A Little Bit of History
- The need: The population age 65 and older on the Palos Verdes Peninsula has increased in recent years and the percentage almost twice that of the surrounding communities and the state as a whole. . In 2010 there were 15,737 residents 65 or older, or 24% of the population, of which 2,213 residents were 85 or older.
- The interest was clear: About 350 people attended the three meetings on the Village Concept in May 2014. Over 230 people filled out surveys indicating their interest in a Village in our community. In September 2014 over 100 people attended a meeting to express their interest in helping to develop the Village.
- Over 60 volunteers have been actively involved in working teams in various areas including: finance, fundraising, governance, marketing, operations, and communications.
- Today: We are an incorporated, non-profit, membership organization that responds to the interests and needs of those who want to remain in their own homes as they age.
- We opened in early 2016 with core programs, identified services, and volunteer opportunities. Our activities, services, and volunteer opportunities are based upon what members tell us they want. Through these activities and service we build meaningful connections we all need to maintain vibrant lives in our neighborhood homes. Additional programs, services, and referrals will be determined by members and staff.
In this video, some local residents explained why they thought the Village would be a welcome addition to our community:
Our thanks to PVHS students Cassidy Najarian and Bailey Irwin for this movie in which local residents explain why the Village is a welcome addition to our community.
As part of the Village Movement, we are joining almost 375 developing or operation Villages across the country, and 60 in California. Each is a grass roots membership organization responding to the interests and needs of the community.
Where We Are Today
- Member benefits include:
- Services such as door to door transportation, minor home maintenance and household help
- Educational, cultural and social programs
- Technology assistance and social media help
- Referrals such as home health care, legal, financial, and many home service providers
- Intergenerational connections
- Member generated activities and affinity groups
- We have an office at 916 Silver Spur Road, Rolling Hills Estates, CA, a paid Executive Director, and an annual budget of approximately $150,000 from memberships, individual donations and grants.
- Members don’t have to live on the Peninsula. The important thing is that you live close enough to provide and receive services, and participate in activities if you choose.
- The Village is a community in which members are engaged with one another and empowered through both giving and receiving.
- Click here to join the Palos Verdes Peninsula Village
If you have any questions just call (310) 991 3324 or email email@example.com
We operate in a spirit of collaboration and coordination with like-minded organizations, services and other entities such as:
- Peninsula Seniors
- H.E.L.P.(Healthcare and Elder Law Programs)
- Marymount California University
Updated February 21, 2016
916 Silver Spur Road, Suite 302, Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274 (310) 991-3324